The largest shark on the planet is the whale shark, up to 60 feet (18 meters) long and weighs over 15 tons. It is a harmless, slow-moving, plankton filter-feeder.
• Killer elephants...Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the jungle!
Elephants kill more people every year than sharks do.
• The tooth fairy would go broke with these guys.
Sharks are always loosing teeth and growing new teeth at the same time. They're like a conveyor belt of teeth! During a shark's life time it can grow up to 30,000 teeth!
• Killer pigs...Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the farm!
Farm pigs kill more people every year than sharks do.
• Grandmother...What rough skin you have.
Sharks' skin is covered with millions of tiny teeth, called dermal denticles. Before sandpaper was invented people would use shark skin for sanding wood.
• I thought you smelled familiar.
Most of our brain is used for processing visual signals from our eyes. Most of the brain in sharks is used for detecting smells.
• I feel tingly all over!
All living animals produce tiny amounts of electricity. Sharks have special sensors in their snouts called, Ampullae of Lorenzini, that can detect these weak electrical fields. Sharks can find animals hiding in the sand by feeling the electricity coming from their bodies!